Here are my Ten "Hidden Gem" toys and games you might not know about, but that your kids( and you), will totally dig.
Simply click on the names and you'll be miraculously transported to a page where you can learn everything there is to know about them.
I've picked these, after seeing scads of toys and games at the TimetoPlaymag.com toy showcase in NYC this past fall, attending the recent Chicago Toy and Game Fair, and being sent boxes of toys to try out every week.
I've done my homework people. Sure, it's fun to jump on the "trendiest toys" bandwagon, but you really should know about the toys and games that might not get as much press or advertising push, but still pack mean play value punch. Here are some to notice.
1. Colorforms 60th Anniversary Edition. $39.99
2. Cartoon it! $19.99 I discovered this game last year and I fell in love with the artistic aspect of this board game. It made a cartoonist out of me.
3. Zoob 250 $49.99 This is a superb open-ended construction toy. They also have kits to make specific things, but I dig the create-your-own-thing, thing
4. Crayola Marker Air Brush $19.99 I got to play with this at the showcase and it's totally fun. It's getting a little press, but not enough.
5. Ubooly $29.99 I was JUST sent one for these adorable furry dudes that come alive using your smart phone...trust me click this and watch. Even my very cool Tween/teen boys LOVED this thing.
6.Colorfall. $44.99 This is a brilliant dominoes-meets-design toy. I would buy this for hip grown-ups as well. EVERYONE needs to play now and again.
7.Oval Xylophone $23.99. This is just one example of the PLAN toys collection. They are all natural, non toxic, wooden and wonderful. PERFECT for the wee ones.
8. The Incredible Shrinky Dinks Maker.$29.97 It's BACK and easier than ever...no big oven required! Made some at the toy showcase and there is just something about shrinking stuff that never gets old.
9.Touchy Feely $39.99 From toddlers to teens, everyone will get a kick out of this "mystery object" game.
10.Djubi $29.99 This is the PERFECT flinging toy your kids can use outside...even in the snow. They need to get out of the house once and awhile.
I played with this on TV and it SOARS. And the orange balls are hard to lose in the white stuff.
Well, there you go! Hope this helps when those "hottest toy" shelves become bare.
Disclaimer: NONE of these brands, shops, sites, or products have paid me a red cent to promote them. Nope, not one.